Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Discomforting sounds

I'm rather concerned. I've been trying for some time now to work out what Mew's fucking great single 'Comfortable Sounds' reminds me of. The nearest I'd been able to come was Sigur Ros if only they'd visited this planet once or twice rather than orbiting the earth in their own little bubble. But then it struck me at the weekend - the song's more like Coldplay gone post-rock.

This thought horrified me - but it continues to ring true and I continue to love the track. And despite slagging off Chris Martin and chums on a fairly regular basis on this very blog, I happened to hear 'Politik' on Saturday and remember thinking, "This isn't too bad, actually". So, have I just got it all wrong? I can't possibly be morphing into Mondeo Man, can I? God forbid. Anyway, I've prescribed myself a course of repeat plays of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album in a desperate bid to convince myself that I'm still into The Music Of The Hip Youth Of Today, and not The Music Of The Soggy-Bottomed Boys.

Any suggestions / advice / messages of condolence and consolation are very welcome.

No comments: