Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Illicit love will tear me apart

Dear Deidre

I fear I've embarked upon an affair. You see, I've been seeing Selectadisc for a number of years now, and we've slipped into an easy arrangement, by which I invest a large portion of my funds in their stock of compact discs. But lately I've become aware of another (dare I say it?) prettier Nottingham music store making seductive 'come to buy' eyes at me.

My first real interaction with Fopp occurred on Friday, when the illicit purchase of albums by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Flaming Lips and Television gave me a thrill of excitement, the sort of thrill that only comes with a sense of danger and the tentative beginnings of a new relationship.

Six By Seven keyboard player James Flower has already been seduced into working there, and as I write I can sense myself being torn between the two - between Fopp's plentiful selection of £7 classics and £10 newies, and Selectadisc's still-unrivalled post-rock and US punk / hardcore sections. What should I do?

Yours sincerely

Anxious of Nottingham

No comments: