Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Blogwatch

Yes, the rancid corpse of a formerly regular feature that was slowly and quietly allowed to die has been exhumed - but for how long? Not sure, but what I do know is that there's been so much fantastic writing going on that I simply had to unbury the dead, if only for one week.

First of all, congratulations to Anna, who has now finished turging Drama in Glasgow and is heading down to London where the streets are paved with gold and Big Mac wrappers to seek fame and fortune, and to be with her gentleman friend. Awww, innit sweet?

Already in the Big Smoke, and giving the Diva a run for his money in the prolific stakes, is my new favourite weblogger LondonMark. The wonderful recent additions to his 'The Art Of ...' series ('... Anticipating', '... Buying' and '... Snacking') are the sort of posts that make me feel like I should just give up right now and leave it to the professionals. Here he is on the subject of buying popularity:

"Although not buying popularity directly, a certain amount of generosity or largesse generally proves to influence the way others will look at you. A bottle of champagne bought at the correct strategic time suggests not opulence, but opulence shared. 'See how I have not only money, but also that I spend my money on us all' is the (often not-so-subtle) underlying message. A semi-eaten pack of pork scratchings will rarely have the same effect, by the way."

Taking into account my current addiction, you'd be positively blessed to get a semi-eaten pack of pork scratchings from me.

Meanwhile, Mike has been undergoing all manner of unspeakable cosmetic changes (fake tan, bleached blonde fin haircut) in the name of amateur dramatics - that's some serious dedication there. Incidentally, does anyone else think the David Dickinson skintone effect is best achieved with the liberal application of gravy? Or is Cuprinol better?

Popdizzy is the place to go if you want misanthropic scorn directed studentwards:

"I also realised how incredibly unfashionable and un-studentish I am. The other students all look so... similar but different. I need a neatly-trimmed Craig David-ish beard. Some 'ethnic' beads around my neck and an ironic Pat Sharpe mullet dyed a variety of different colours. And I MUST get some Nike slipper-like trainers! I will buy some clothes from H&M tomorrow and I too will express my individuality with clothes that have been distressed by a machine to make them look more unique."

It's also the place to go if you want to find out how the new series of 'Dr Who' as written by the man behind C4's 'Queer As Folk', Russell Davies, might turn out. Personally, I suspect there might be slightly more Cybermen and slightly less fisting.

Great album covers quiz over at Me(ish) - I managed to get a paltry 30 out of 60, and consequently feel humbled and ashamed.

Elsewhere: Sarah on the phenomenon of charvas and the latest exhibitions at the Baltic; Alex's first experience of a creative writing group; Invisible Stranger's elegy for video jukeboxes; Dead Kenny on Chuck Palahniuk's latest novel 'Diary'; and Steve on Magnet's Top Ten Albums of the last decade, which has Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea at #1.

... And finally, thanks to Rhys and Laura and to Razorhead for the linkage!

No comments: