Friday, February 10, 2012

Filling in the gaps

"Necessarily brief, patchy and cobbled together from increasingly vague memory" - that's how I described my write-up of the final day of Godspeed!'s Nightmare Before Christmas ATP in 2010, on account of having mislaid my scrawled notes. Well, lo and behold, they've turned up, buried beneath a pile of unsorted junk and it turns out my memory wasn't as faulty as I'd imagined. Still, a few details were missed out:

* ATP TV cutting off Grinderman mid-'No Pussy Blues' with some 1970s road safety adverts before screening a film about a hard-drinking, hard-smoking Nigerian midget. Par for the course, really.

* Hangover recovery in front of Extreme Fishing With Robson Green, in which the presenter gleefully talks about having an oyster to "keep me going until daybreak". Enough to make your stomach turn, if it wasn't already.

* Brian and Suresh trying out one of the dance-off machines in the arcade. With hilarious consequences.

* Suresh on the somewhat eccentric Charlemagne Palestine: "The line between genius and senility has been crossed"...

* The Country Teasers' BR Wallers trotting out the old joke that begins: "What's speaks French and likes blow jobs?"

* Weird Al Yankovic's attempt at seduction talk: "You'd look like Venus de Milo / If I just cut off your arms ... You must have fallen from heaven / That would explain how you messed up your face".

* Where was Weird Al when Awesome Tapes From Africa were on? The whole of the Crazy Horse was white and nerdy...

Needless to say, I've made sure that the notes from last year's festivals don't go astray.

1 comment:

skif said...

We've got Charlemagne Palestine at the one next month. The remarks here mean I now HAVE TO check him out.