Friday, October 10, 2014

Quote of the day

"It might seem strange but you find out about characters when you look to see who’s in charge of the music. A young lad might want to put on the latest sound; an older player might say: ‘I’m the senior player’ and put himself in charge. But I noticed none of the players [at Sunderland] were in charge of the music and this was a concern for me. A member of staff was in charge. I was looking at him thinking: ‘I hope someone nails him here.’ The last song before the players went on to the pitch was ‘Dancing Queen’ by Abba. What really worried me was that none of the players – not one – said: ‘Get that shit off.’ They were going out to play a match, men versus men, testosterone levels were high. You’ve got to hit people at pace. Fuckin’ ‘Dancing Queen.’ It worried me. I didn’t have as many leaders as I thought."

While I'm a huge fan of 'Dancing Queen' - indeed, I'd stand by my ranking of it as my favourite ever British #1 - I can see why Roy Keane might feel otherwise. Thanks to him for publishing this comment in his new autobiography to help make the Mackems even more of a laughing stock - and no thanks to the Guardian for including enough appetite-whetting snippets in this article to make it hard to resist buying the bloody thing.

No comments: