Sunday, June 14, 2015

Quote of the day

"I'm going in with my eyes wide open. I know I'm not going to be a frontrunner. But I look at people who have been in politics for five, 10, 15 years, and muck up, you see them muck up and think, 'You guys are supposed to be pro!' People [who] have gone to Oxbridge, had thousands spent on their education, and I mean they are royally mucking up."

Fine words from Sol Campbell, announcing his intention to stand for London mayor. However, speaking as a Newcastle fan who had the dubious pleasure of witnessing former footballer Campbell's own unique definition of professionalism, I can't help but feel he's not in the best position to judge these things.

Campbell may not be a "frontrunner", as he acknowledges, but don't rule him out - after all, Londoners have already shown they have a soft spot for mayors who are clueless, gaffe-prone Tory buffoons.

No comments: